Unexpected overlap between .start and *COM* on phycore_mpc5554

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Mon Feb 10 12:54:23 UTC 2014

I'm testing the git head of rtems 4.11 on the phycore_mpc5554 BSP.  "Hello" worked, but GDB gave the warning that follows when I loaded the program.  The few others tests I've tried haven't started but I haven't dove into debugging yet, I want to be sure this isn't something to solve first.

I checked the symbol table and I don't see any "*COM*" section in the .exe or setting up of a *COM* in the linkcmds.  Some googling hasn't helped.

Since the ignored section B "*COM*" appears to be 0 length anyway (I'm guessing that's what "[0x0, 0x0)" means, though I'm not sure about the closing parens) maybe I can just ignore this.

The warning is:

"During symbol reading, unexpected overlap between:
 (A) section `.start' from `/home/dufault/rtems-git/build/powerpc-rtems4.11/c/phycore_mpc5554/testsuites/samples/minimum/minimum.exe' [0x0, 0x66c)
 (B) section `*COM*' from `/home/dufault/rtems-git/build/powerpc-rtems4.11/c/phycore_mpc5554/testsuites/samples/minimum/minimum.exe' [0x0, 0x0).
Will ignore section B."

Peter