TCP/IP update, possible SMP (GSOC 2014)

Daniel Ramirez javamonn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 16:09:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:20 AM, Sebastian Huber <

> Hello Daniel,
>

> On 2014-02-27 15:14, Daniel Ramirez wrote:
>
>> I've seen the status page but I know Sebastian is spearheading the bulk
>> of the
>> work and I'm not exactly sure what would be reasonable/useful as gsoc
>> project.
>> What I'm specifically looking at:
>>
>> Migration away from task variables.
>>

> its not that much to do here, maybe one or two weeks of work.
>

>> Low level broadcasts.
>>

> I am not yet sure if we will need them.  Its also not time consuming,
> maybe one week.
>

>> Condition variables seems like a good topic but I want to avoid conflicts
>> with
>> other students if possible.
>>

> Yes, condition variables are important.
>

>> Work that needs to be done within the scheduler API that would enable SMP.
>>

> The work on the clustered/partitioned scheduling is on my high priority
> list, so I hope that the scheduler API will be stable before the GSoC
> starts.  I will provide only a fixed priority scheduler.

So are you suggesting that work on (or within) the clustered/partitioned
scheduler could possibly be an acceptable gsoc project? Or that projects
requiring a stable scheduler API would be acceptable?

One more SMP related idea I thought would really be interesting would be to
add fine grained locking support. I'm just looking for an area that I can
start really studying and narrow down a proposal.

>> If I'm missing something that would make for a good project and help get
>> SMP up
>> and running, let me know.
>>

> Some interesting area also useful for the network stack would be flattened
> device tree support for driver initialization and configuration.

I will look into this, thanks.