Paravirtualization on Xen

Joel Sherrill Joel.Sherrill at OARcorp.com
Wed Feb 26 07:09:35 UTC 2014

On Feb 26, 2014 3:49 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> POK acts like a hypervisor, although you may be correct that its
> interfaces are not quite as "clean" as a true VMM would be. Doing some
> work with Xen might be worthwhile, in the sense of fleshing out what
> the paravirtualization interface could look like, but only if you have
> pretty good experience already with Xen--otherwise, I think there is
> too high of a learning curve to figure out both Xen and RTEMS. Plus,
> I'm not sure how large the user base would be for something like RTEMS
> on Xen. Whereas RTEMS on POK has a pretty clear use-case for running
> RTEMS in an ARINC-653 partitioned system. If you are set on
> paravirtualization, I think it would be better to continue the work
> with POK, unless others think this direction is fruitless.

The RTEMS Project needs an ARINC 653 solution. The goal is not to just run in a virtual environment from a hypervisor. The solution needs to support partitions which use ARINC APEX APIs, Classic API, and POSIX API. The OS profiles in the Open Group FACE standard are where this should be heading.

Pok needs work on the hypervisor side but is focused on the 653 portion. It is licensed appropriately, small, and like RTEMS is not subject to a lot of code churn.

Xen is a solution to a similar but different problem.