[rtems commit] bsps: Basic console driver for Termios devices

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jul 10 07:12:25 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-09 22:34, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> This is duplicative of the following files in libbsp/shared:
>
> console_control.c
> console_read.c
> console_write.c

This is not a duplicate, it is an easy to use replacement for all this
complicated shared console driver stuff.

> Please just add individual files for the other methods
> and list them.

This would only make the copy and paste in the Makefile.am worse.

> And yes, there are BSPs that only use some of these
> and provide their own versions of others.

I am about to go on vacation soon, so I had no time to update the Termios
documentation in the BSP guide yet.  The recent changes in the Termios API are
relatively small and do not impact existing drivers, but they greatly simplify
the console driver.  All you need now are three things:

1. This console_termios.c in the BSPs Makefile.am

2. A general device specific low-level driver, for example:

http://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/c/src/lib/libbsp/sparc/shared/uart/apbuart_termios.c

In contrast to the low-level drivers using the old callback API, this low-level
driver uses no global variables (!).

3. A BSP specific initialization routine:

http://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/c/src/lib/libbsp/sparc/leon3/console/console.c

Thats it, no myriads of different tables here and there.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de