[GSoC] OpenRISC port | ISR_Enable/Disable and isr_level

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Jul 31 14:17:44 UTC 2014

On July 31, 2014 8:54:29 AM CDT, Hesham Moustafa <heshamelmatary at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was trying to figure out where to increment ISR level related
>variables. First, I wanna indicate that the current OpenRISC port only
>has two level of interrupts: disable/enable. Given that, does this
>mean that the maximum interrupt level is 1?
>
>I noticed that there is some architectures have its own (static)
>variable to contain isr_level, other RTEMS portable structures like
>per_cpu structure has its own isr_level variable, and some have this
>embedded in Context_Control. Maybe one of the previous variables are
>just reading from an original one? If so, where it's? I assume it's
>all read from one global/static variable which we can get directly
>from a call to _CPU_ISR_Disable down to the architecture specific
>function (at cpu.h?). If that's right, should _CPU_ISR_Disable (in
>case of OpenRISC) just did the magic to disable interrupts in HW, and
>always return 1 (or increment a static variable if interrupts are
>already disable and do nothing in HW?)
>_CPU_ISR_Enable in turn, should check on this level, decrements it,
>and only do the HW magic to enable interrupts when level = 1? Please
>correct me if I am getting this wrong.

ISR disable and enable should not need to touch any global data or per thread/CPU data. They disable maskable interrupts at the CPU level. This usually involves a single special status register. Return the value of this register before disable to the caller. That value is passed to enable and flash.

>Another question is, where/when should this variable be
>incremented/decremented? Currently I did that from or1k/cpu.h from the
>HW disable/enable interrupts function (which is called from
>_ISR_[Disable|Enable]. Also, there are some architectures (like nios2)
>increment/decrement it from the _ISR_Handler sometimes hard-coded in
>assembly code. And of course, which variable exactly to be incremented
>(the static one, the one at per_cpu and using macros for calculating
>its address/offset, or where?)
>I see also some high-level variable always incremented before every
>call to _ISR_Enable, and decremented before _ISR_Disable.

I think you have confused isr disable level and isr nest level. Nest level is part of the asm code for irqs.