Updated Style and Coding Conventions

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Jun 2 13:44:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> Hello Gedare,
>
> thanks for the summary.  I have some comments.
>
> "Exception: Spaces are optional around binary bit-wise operators."
>
> What is the background for this exception?  So "a&b" is ok, but not "a&&b"?
> I would remove this exception.  I think "a & b" is much easier to read.

There is precedence especially for bitwise-orring of flag fields it
seems to have been done in the past. However, I have removed the
exception, I agree with both of you that it is better to have the
spaces.

> "Put a single space before and no space after unary pointer operators (* and
> &)."
>
> What about "!a" vs. "! a"?  We have both variants currently.

I meant to include the ! operator, and now I have clarified this rule.
We do have both, but we should avoid the "! a" variant I believe.

> "Use NULL for the null pointer."
>
> What is with tests for the null pointer, e.g. "!ptr" vs "ptr != NULL".  I
> strongly favor the "ptr != NULL" test.  This is also in line with MISRA C
> and other standards in that area (only expressions with a boolean result
> value are allowed in if statements).

I have made it a suggestion to prefer explicit checks for NULL.

> We should add a rule for unused function parameters:
>
> "Use '(void) unused;' to mark unused parameters."

Done.