[rtems commit] libblock: Add RTEMS_BDBUF_USE_PTHREAD

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jun 2 23:58:04 UTC 2014

On 3/06/2014 3:37 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Sebastian Huber <sebh at rtems.org> wrote:
>> Module:    rtems
>> Branch:    master
>> Commit:    1fc2e960cea37e8d78e142c71faec18262f356d2
>> Changeset: http://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=1fc2e960cea37e8d78e142c71faec18262f356d2
>>
>> Author:    Ralf Kirchner <ralf.kirchner at embedded-brains.de>
>> Date:      Mon Jun  2 14:46:18 2014 +0200
>>
>> libblock: Add RTEMS_BDBUF_USE_PTHREAD
>>
>> Use the PTHREAD mutexes and condition variables if available.  This
>> helps on SMP configurations to avoid the home grown condition variables
>> via disabled preemption.
>>

> If the bdbufs work better with this pthread implementation, should we
> just get rid of the old code in favor of the new code using
> pthread_mutex and condvar? This would mean requiring users who want
> bdbufs to also configure for POSIX, which I'm not sure whether that is
> a problem or not...

I also agree. It seems normal to me to have POSIX enabled to use a POSIX
compliant file system.

I think we need to understand the benefit and trade off the
--enable-posix option gives us these days. The fewer options like this
we have the better our testing results are. There is a limited number of
options we can support before the ability to test becomes impossible. We
have too many to test now.