GSoC 2014 | Poring RTEMS for OpenRISC

Hesham Moustafa heshamelmatary at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:22:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hesham,
>
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Hesham Moustafa
> <heshamelmatary at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Joel Sherrill <Joel.Sherrill at oarcorp.com
> >
> > wrote:

> >> This I can answer. The tool chain rotted and had no maintainer. I also
> >> recall not having a simulator to test on.
> >>
> >> The final issue was some discrepancy between multiple openrisc CPU
> >> projects where I thought the focus on the architecture we had a port to
> was
> >> losing interest from them.
> >
> > Thanks Dr Joel, I also wanted to know the answer :)
> > Was this architecture OpenRISC 1000 or another core ?
> If the toolchain is up-to-date and there are simulator and real hw
> architecture supported, then it can be a feasible project to do a
> port.
>
> Yes the toolchain is up-to-date and I worked on their or1ksim simulator
which can be connected to gdb. They support many boards, one of them is
Atlys FPGA board which I have and worked on and I hope to create a BSP for.

> > Because I have been working on the last few months on FPGA project ( mips
> > microprocessor).
> > I wanted to port an OS to an opensource processor, and OpenRISC
> architecture
> > is mature enough to port a complex RTOS like RTEMS.
> >>
> >> And who would use it?
> >
> > People using black box OpenRISC and others interested in Digital design,
> > Computer architecture and
> > HW/SW interfacing. Something like xilinx zynq ? except that both OpenRISC
> > and RTEMS are opensource.
> If OpenRISC has settled on a specific reference architecture and has
> an adequately active community, then a port would be acceptable.
>
> I think they have. OpenRISC 1000 and 1200 architectures are both well
supported
and used, and their community is active.

> >> Long term a port needs to be to a viable architecture from a "is it
> alive"
> >> view  this includes the cpu, tools, a way for us to test, etc
> >
> > Sure, that's what I hope to work on.
> In order to have a chance that your proposal will be accepted, you
> will need to demonstrate that the openrisc tools work for recent gcc /
> newlib with an adequate simulator. Based on wikipedia, you should be
> able to cross-compile Linux for the OpenRISC to run on Qemu, or you
> may like to just try to get a bare-metal application to run in the
> simulator.
>
> I have built their latest toolchain, gcc  4.9.0 and binutils 2.24.51.
with newlib. A helloworld program is working fine with or1k-elf-run,
or1k-elf-gdb (which connects to their or1ksim simulator) and qemu.

The questions is, should this project include porting their toolchains to
RTEMS toolchains (with their copyrights) ? or that may cause some
licence/copyrights problems ?