GSoC 2014 | Porting RTEMS for OpenRISC

Hesham Moustafa heshamelmatary at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 01:58:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Hesham Moustafa
> <heshamelmatary at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hesham,

> >> In order to have a chance that your proposal will be accepted, you
> >> will need to demonstrate that the openrisc tools work for recent gcc /
> >> newlib with an adequate simulator. Based on wikipedia, you should be
> >> able to cross-compile Linux for the OpenRISC to run on Qemu, or you
> >> may like to just try to get a bare-metal application to run in the
> >> simulator.
> >>
> > I have built their latest toolchain, gcc  4.9.0 and binutils 2.24.51.
> > with newlib. A helloworld program is working fine with or1k-elf-run,
> > or1k-elf-gdb (which connects to their or1ksim simulator) and qemu.
> >
> > The questions is, should this project include porting their toolchains to
> > RTEMS toolchains (with their copyrights) ? or that may cause some
> > licence/copyrights problems ?
> In order for RTEMS Project to accept the BSP for inclusion, the GCC
> toolchain must be available and prepared for upstream submission. If
> there is already OpenRISC (or1k) support accepted by GCC for linux, it
> should be straightforward to make it work for RTEMS. You will need to
> propose it as part of your GSOC, and you will need to make the proper
> steps including submitting FSF paperwork for contributing to GCC.

They have their latest toolchain at github [1]. Also there is a linux port
that can work
on both or1ksim and real HW FPGA [2]. Not sure how the project would
interface/interact with the existing or1k toolchain at github, gcc, and
RTEMS. I would
appreciate more clarification about this issue.

[1] https://github.com/openrisc/or1k-src
[2] http://openrisc.net/toolchain-build.html