rtems/src/scheduler* code convention issue

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed May 28 19:19:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
> On 5/28/2014 10:44 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

>>> My vote is to limit nesting to 4 levels of indentation. Early returns
>>> or local goto to error/out label should be used when it makes sense.
>>> For example:
>>> int foo(int bar)
>>> {
>>>    int a = 0; // one level
>>>    if ( bar == a ) {
>>>      int b = 1; // two levels
>>>      while ( a++ < b ) {
>>>        int c = 2; // three levels
>>>        if ( a == c ) {
>>>          goto err; // fourth and deepest level!
>>>        }
>>>      }
>>>    }
>>>    return 0;
>>> err:
>>>    return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>> Ahem, the goto should be used primarily when there is cleanup to be
>> done. In this example it would be better to return the -1 directly.
>> Still, this is my vote.
>
> Agreed on the use of gotos. Avoid.
>
> But whether N levels of depth is appropriate and acceptable ignores the
> question
> of whether it is "necessary depth". The above example has four levels.  The
> first
> level is not needed:
>
>   int a = 0;
>   int b;
>

>   if ( bar == a )
>     return 0;
>
>   b = 1;
>
>   while ( a++ < b ) {
>     int c = 2; // two levels
>
>     if ( a == c ) {
>         return -1;
>     }
>   }
>   return 0;
>
> I don't know if there is a measure of average nesting depth but
> it is certainly higher in the original version.

Well, the example was contrived mostly to show what I meant by 4, but
the actual number is subjective I suppose. Maybe we should write a
script to determine the nesting level in use and go from there...

> In the original example, the flow is pretty contorted to me with
> the goto resulting in two returns back to back.

Yes, I think a goto should only be used to consolidate cleanup code.

> Ironically, the example also raises three new style questions:
>
> + It declares new variables in inner scopes which has been avoided
> in the past. I think this was not supported in older C standards and thus
> there was no choice but to avoid it. I don't remember when it got added
> to C. I assume C99 since that is our target language. But we never
> discussed it.

I believe I have seen this creeping into RTEMS recently. The coding
conventions say to use ANSI C, which is a vague description that could
mean C99, or C90.

> + And there is the question of whether variables should be initialized
> when declared or not.  I think historically this has been done only for
> simple RHS values which are constant so as not to impose order
> implications on the declarations.

Yes I think we discussed this, and it should be added to the conventions.

> + C++ style // comments. Same issue with history based on older C standard.

Yes, we should stick to /* */ comments.