RTEMS+LWIP for LPC1768 BSP

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Nov 6 21:26:06 UTC 2014

On 11/4/2014 3:01 PM, Marcos Díaz wrote:
> Hi!
>  We are currently using a LWIP implementation on the Beagle Bone Black
> bsp, recently uploaded by Ben Gras.
> We developed this port based on ethernet and lwip drivers from
> StarterWare drivers of Texas Instrument.
> We took this port, that was intended for baremetal use and added a
> posix implementation, as Federico did for the semaphores, messages and
> threads to use inside LWIP and the driver, and updated LWIP version to
> the current working branch.
> We also modified the device driver in order to support threads in
> charge of managing the input and output of the device.
> The license for those drivers is BSD and copied from the LWIP's BSD
> license.
>
> Now we are using this port as an application, but we wanted to have
> ideas of how we can put LWIP inside RTEMS.
> I'm thinking of many things, as:
>  initialization of the device
I assume it is just a subroutine call to LWIP and the application would
make it at the appropriate time.  This is like the current IPV4 stack.

The new IPV4/IPV6 stack has a slightly different startup mechanism
and can use BSD type commands like ifconfig and route to configure it.
> configuration of lwip options and ip address options
The old and new stacks already do this differently. I suspect that
initializing the selected stack in a uniform way isn't as critical
as not having N versions of services like httpd, telnetd, etc.
> use of socket api and integrating it to the libraries used in RTEMS.

Is the code posted somewhere? How much has been submitted
upstream to LWIP?

With the old IPV4 stack, new IPV4/IPV6 stack, and LWIP stack
all available in parallel, it may make sense to NOT merge
LWIP directly but consider networking as an add-on package.

Assuming we break the old stack out of the main source tree
into an independent package, then you would build RTEMS,
a networking kit, etc. The RSB's notion of packages for RTEMS
makes this pretty attractive.