Proposed RTEMS Community Code of Conduct

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Wed Nov 12 19:49:04 UTC 2014

Hi Ralf,

you are right when you mention, that we cooperated quite well the last
15 or so years without a CCoC, although some past discussions went
definitively beyond both proper personal conduct and the now formulated
CCoC.

The CCoC itself will not ensure proper behaviour, but it may help in
certain discussions. Remember that our community has members from many
different cultures all over the world. People from these cultures may
have different looks at "proper behaviour", so the few points listed in
the CCoC may help. Just in case.

What I don't understand in your posting: On the one hand you mention,
that the topics of the proposed CCoC have never been an issue on the
RTEMS list and on the other hand you point out, that other CCoCs on
other lists may have made some users leave the list.

Do you think one of the porposed CCoC's topics would make people leave
this project?

I see no harm in the CCoC, and always appreciate clear words.

wkr,

Thomas.

Am 12.11.2014 14:47, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On 11/10/2014 06:11 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> While at the GSOC Mentor Summit, I heard a story from another
>> organization about some inappropriate behavior by someone.
>> They were fairly easily able to deal with this because their
>> organization had an agreed upon Community Code of Conduct (CCoC).
>> This provides guidelines on expected behavior as well as what
>> will occur if these are violated.
>
> As you may know, I am opposed to any such Code of Conducts, as well as I
> do not see any need for the RTEMS list to implement one.
>

> Why?
>
> a) The issues you mention have never been a problem to the RTEMS list.
> That said I feel you trying to implement problems to a current non-issue.
>
> b) I for one consider "Code of Conducts" to an ongoing fashion/hype,
> which as I feel probably, originates from certain tendencies in US-society.
>
> c) I have seen many occassions, where "Code of Conducts" have been
> applied as a means of censorship to silence and suppress oppositions in
> case of disagreement or dispute.
>
> d) Some of these project who are proud to have implemented a "Code of
> Conduct" wonder about loosing users. Why? cf. c)
>
> Ralf

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler
Dornierstr. 4