Proposed RTEMS Community Code of Conduct

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Sat Nov 15 16:28:53 UTC 2014

Ralf,

I agree that a "Community Code of Conduct" might be formulated that
enables it to be used as a means of oppression. But we are talking about
a certain recommended document code. Reading it I do not see any request
which seem inappropriate. And "breaking" the code would not mean to be
silently thrown out of the community, it would just start a discussion
on staying within reasonable behaviour.

So, can you clarify, noting the parts in Joel's recommended "RTEMS Code
of Conduct", which you fear to be used sa a means of oppression?

If I look at the chapter headlines and their content, I don't see anything

- Be considerate
- Be respectful
- Be collaborative
- Be pragmatic
- Support others in the community
- Get support from others in the community

Which point actually makes you fear something?

wkr,

Thomas.

Am 15.11.2014 17:01, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On 11/12/2014 08:49 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>>
>> What I don't understand in your posting: On the one hand you mention,
>> that the topics of the proposed CCoC have never been an issue on the
>> RTEMS list and on the other hand you point out, that other CCoCs on
>> other lists may have made some users leave the list.
>
> Experience tells, in longer terms "project leaders" tend to
> instrumentalize "Code of Conducts" as a means of oppression and
> suppression, just to silence opposition.
>
>> Do you think one of the porposed CCoC's topics would make people leave
>> this project?
>
> Yes, definitely - CoCs endanger people to being banned from lists
> because of having expressing opions. To not expose themselves to this
> danger, they often simply do not express their opinions. They implement
> a climate of uncertainty and fear.
>
> This is counterproductive to OSS-projects. OSS-projects need open minds,
> and needs tolerance - not censorship.
>
>> I see no harm in the CCoC, and always appreciate clear words.
> IMO, "clear words" and a CCoC are self-contractory and mutally exclusive.
>
> Ralf

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler
Dornierstr. 4