How to send a shutdown signal to QEMU from RTEMS?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Oct 8 14:20:07 UTC 2014

On 10/8/2014 12:15 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 07/10/14 15:53, Hesham Moustafa wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to send shutdown signal from RTEMS to qemu. Joel said that
>> qemu-system-i386 does so; can anyone refers me to how to implement that for
>> qemu-system-or32 (openrisc)?
> This is target dependent.  Some targets implement the registers of the reset
> module.  The easiest thing to figure this out is looking at the Qemu sources.

We need to ask Christian. There is a command line option to qemu
which turns on "exit on reset" (--no-reboot).  If the simulated target
hardware has a way to reset it from software, the target specific
simulation
can honor the command line option and just exit rather than start over.

We use this on at least the pc386.

The questions for Christian are:

+ Does the or1ksim have a software reset capability? If not, can we
add one?

+ Can qemu be modified to support this?

It should only be a few lines of code in qemu and one write to the
magic location in the BSP.

It will be of great value in speeding the testing procedure.