__assert.c Wpointer-to-int-cast

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Oct 14 06:21:00 UTC 2014

On 14/10/14 04:21, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> cpukit/libcsupport/src/__assert.c52:43:
> warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>     rtems_fatal( RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_ASSERT, (rtems_fatal_code) &assert_context );
>
> This code casts the address of assert_control into an
> rtems_fatal_code, which is uint32_t. I assume it was done so one can
> find the context while debugging, but it is non-portable behavior for
> 64-bit addresses.
>
> We could fix this a few ways:
> 1) Make rtems_fatal_code a uintptr_t type so it gets the same width as a pointer
> 2) Make rtems_fatal accept a uintptr_t type so it can get a wider int
> than rtems_fatal_code
> 3) Don't allow this abuse of rtems_fatal. A workaround could be to
> pass the offset in the frame of the assert_control. Less clean for
> debugging though.

4) use "unsigned long" for Internal_errors_t since this type has at least
32-bits in contrast to uintptr_t.  This is already used for
RBTree_Compare_result.  See also static assertions in
cpukit/score/src/rbtreeinsert.c.  The rtems_task_argument has similar issues.
Maybe we should add a base integer type suitable for pointer storage which is
at least 32-bits wide.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de