PowerPC Cache Warning Help Request

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Oct 20 14:37:37 UTC 2014

Hi

This is a plea to get folks with PowerPC experience to look
at a single file and see if they can improve the conditionals.
The change will be easy. It is just a matter of knowing the
answer or having a manual handy.

The way my script counts unique warnings, it looks like 29
of the 168 unique warnings are actually from one file!!!
./powerpc/shared/src/cache_.h has conditional logic which
matches a lot of PowerPC's but misses a lot.

My suspicion is that most of the following BSPs have
CPUs which are really covered by one of the cache
method implementations but no one has updated the file
to catch the CPU models.

The list of 56 BSP's [1] looks longer than the number of
CPU variants. Doing some grep's, the list of CPU models
not covered by the conditionals is only 10.

e500
mpc555
mpc55xx
mpc604
mpc7400
mpc7455
mpc750
ppc405
ppc440
qoriq

FWIW the powerpc/t32mppc does not set RTEMS_CPU_MODEL.
That is another problem since that doesn't trip the cache logic
either.

It would be really appreciated if the various people using
PowerPC BSPs would take a look at this.

Thanks.

[1] The full BSP list is:

powerpc-beatnik powerpc-gwlcfm powerpc-haleakala powerpc-mcp750
powerpc-mpc5566evb powerpc-mpc5566evb_spe powerpc-mpc5643l_dpu
powerpc-mpc5643l_evb powerpc-mpc5668g powerpc-mpc5674f_ecu508_app
powerpc-mpc5674f_ecu508_boot powerpc-mpc5674fevb
powerpc-mpc5674fevb_spe powerpc-mpc5674f_rsm6 powerpc-mvme2307
powerpc-mvme3100 powerpc-mvme5500 powerpc-phycore_mpc5554
powerpc-qemuprep-altivec powerpc-qemuprep powerpc-qoriq_core_0
powerpc-qoriq_core_1 powerpc-qoriq_p1020rdb powerpc-ss555
powerpc-t32mppc powerpc-virtex4 powerpc-virtex5 powerpc-virtex