MSc (by research) involving RTEMS | University of York

Cláudio Silva claudiodcsilva at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:04:26 UTC 2014

Hi Hesham,

There are several commercially available MPSoCs:
  - MPPA from Kalray
  - TILE 64 from Tilera and it's Radiation Tolerant version Maestro
  - Xentium from Recore Systems
but you need to investigate their OS support. Most of them should
support some form of Linux SMP. Xentium supports RTEMS, but solely in
the Leon core used to drive the system. These were used in several
projects, so a simple google search should yield some interesting
results.

In terms of research, there are several EC funded projects that
research time-predictability and MPSoCs/CMPs. I will leave links to a
few of them as they might be of interest to your research:

- T-CREST Time-Predictable Multi-Core Architecture for Embedded
Systems: http://www.t-crest.org/
- P-SOCRATES (Parallel Software Framework for Time-Critical Many-core
Systems): http://www.p-socrates.eu/
- PREDATOR: http://www.predator-project.eu/
- MERASA (Multi-Core Execution of Hard Real-Time Applications
Supporting Analysability):
http://ginkgo.informatik.uni-augsburg.de/merasa-web/
-parMERASA (Multi-Core Execution of Parallelised Hard Real-Time
Applications Supporting Analysability):
- CompSOC: http://compsoc.eu/

Although none of them focuses on the operating system itself, some
include operating system ports and reason about the issues found in
these kinds of systems.
The T-CREST project includes a fully open source MPSoC
(https://github.com/t-crest/) that can be instantiated in a Xilinx
platform. In addition, RTEMS is ported to the T-CREST MPSoC
(https://github.com/t-crest/rtems) but solely in "pure" AMP
configurations (fully decoupled and independent RTEMS instances
running in each core). Nevertheless, I think adding support for RTEMS'
multiprocessor extensions should be fairly easy.

On the other hand, P-SOCRATES' objective is to develop a software
stack aimed at bridging the gap between the application design and an
hardware many-core platform. I guess this includes scheduling and
operating system mappings, so it should be more aligned with your
research.

Best Regards,
Cláudio