CMSIS?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Sep 2 15:15:55 UTC 2014

On 9/2/2014 9:52 AM, Daniel Gutson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Joel Sherrill
> <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>> This is the license.
>>
>> The big problem I see first is the typical use only on our hardware
>> and that in order to redistribute, we must ensure that it is only
>> used on ARM hardware.
>>
>> This is a common restriction on vendor provided software and I
>> honestly don't know how to address including anything which
>> wants an open source project to ensure that anyone downloading
>> only uses it on the appropriate hardware.
>>
>> We have seen similar licenses from at least four vendors.
>>
>> If someone is able to crack this nut and find a way to not incur
>> liability for the RTEMS Project, I am open to ideas. But skeptical.
> Would this mean that an implementation from scratch would be the best choice?
Unfortunately, that's the solution we have always arrived at. If the
specification
itself doesn't have restrictions on implementations.

With that said, if there is an independent open source implementation
which is
portable, we have sometimes had luck in going that route. Even when it
required
asking for a license change.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what the specification says technically. I
looked at the
figure and the license. Seems useful enough for cross-platform ARM code.
And
if some of those features are appropriate, this would allow
cross-platform to
non-ARM targets. But that is clearly not in ARM's best interests for
their own
implementation.

--joel