NFS nfsStBlksize and buffer overflows (NFS RPC: Timed out)

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Wed Sep 10 13:53:24 UTC 2014

My client is having problems similar to that described here:

http://www.rtems.org/rtems/maillistArchives/rtems-users/2011/march/msg00228.html

I don't understand the details, or why one needs to limit the I/O size based on the ethernet chip set, but I did verify that cpukit/libfs/src/nfsclient/src/nfs.c does not have changes described in the email and that changing nfs.c and then setting nfsStBlksize to 4096 before calling nfsInit() works around the issue.  This is on the phycore_mpc5554 BSP with the smc91111 ethernet chip.

I'll gladly submit a bug and a patch for nfs.c, but I don't fully understand the issue.  I could just describe the bug as "NFS does not honor nfsStBlksize" and submit it as that.

Does this make sense or is there a more fundamental bug at a different level?

Peter