RTEMS Linkers merged into The RTEMS Tools Project

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Sep 12 23:18:03 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have merged the chrisj/rtl-host.git repo into The RTEMS Tools repo
(rtems-tools.git) under the 'linkers' directory. Many thanks to all the
people especially the GSoC students over the past few years who have
contributed to this code base. Your efforts have been fantastic.

The RTEMS linkers currently include the Run Time linker (rtems-ld) for
creating images that can be dynamically loaded at runtime and the
recently added Trace linker (rtems-tld).

If you make use of the RTL host code please update to the RTEMS Tools
repo as I will delete the rtl-host.git repo from my personal area
sometime in the future.

The merge allows the code to be refactored splitting into a library a
number of C++ classes that provide a range of tools to access and manage
ELF files and execute code on hosts as sub-processors. This code base
will allow tools such as the Coverage Analysis tool (covoar) in the
tester directory to make use of it. This years ESA Summer of Code in
Space (SOCIS) project is already doing this so this change will allow us
to merge that code in The RTEMS Tools project.

In the future we would like to add libdwarf and get access to the ELF
debug info. This will help us automatically and accurately generate
function signatures used when tracing.