Separation of RTEMS sources and tool chain patches

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Mon Sep 29 17:26:09 UTC 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 02:15 , Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> I can add the scripts to INI file format. I feel XML is too heavy a
> requirement for parsing. There is a single C++ file that does it and
> Python handles the format easily. I also think it is easier to read.

Yes, INI is easier to read but XML is ubiquitous and easier to sell.  I use tinyXML2.  TinyXML2 has been complete enough for me, and the footprint is small enough for me even on my target devices.  On the embedded PowerPC MPC5554:

powerpc-rtems4.11-size ~/scratch/powerpc-unknown-rtems/phycore_mpc5554/tpsw/tinyxml2/tinyxml2.o
   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
  41616	      4	      0	  41620	   a294	/home/dufault/scratch/powerpc-unknown-rtems/phycore_mpc5554/tpsw/tinyxml2/tinyxml2.o
[dufault at litho9099 tinyxml2]$

OK, that's huge on some systems, but not on what I work on anymore.

- Licensing:

TinyXML-2 is released under the zlib license:

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

	• The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
	• Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
	• This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

Peter