Multi-Processor communication options ?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Apr 7 22:39:18 UTC 2015

On 4/7/2015 1:57 PM, Cudmore, Alan P. (GSFC-5820) wrote:
> We are developing a processor card that has two CPUs on a board with
> either a shared memory or FIFO interface between them. Either interface
> will have the ability to interrupt the CPU upon receipt of data.
>
> Is either one more suitable for the RTEMS Multi-Processor interface?
Theoretically both are within the design but the shared memory is
easier. There is a driver for this now in the tree. You just need to
define shm locking instructions.

> Are there any problems or inefficiencies with the MP interface on
> SPARC/LEON3? One of the CPUs will be dual core.
We have never run an SMP system as a node on a distributed MP
configuration. But it should work. AFAIK it hasn't even been built
as a configuration yet.
> Is there a BSP with an example of a Multi-Processor interface
> implementation?
leon3 and psim.

FWIW there is a subset of the Classic API available on distributed MP
configurations. If this isn't enough, that set can be expanded.