RTEMS Fault Tolerance Project for SOCIS 2015

Saeed Ehteshamifar salpha.2004 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:15:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm interested to take part in development of RTEMS via fault tolerance
<https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/Fault_injection>
project. I've read the wiki page for the project, the page for open projects
<https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/OpenProjects>, and the page for GSoC
<https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC> and GSoC getting started
<https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/GettingStarted>. I've also skimmed RTEMS
4.5.0 evaluation report
<ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/esa_validation_report_450/RTEMS_DependabilityTesting/evaluation-report/CSW-RAMS-2003-RPT-1334-evalutation-report.pdf>
.

I also have the experience of using RTEMS for 14 months as part of a
research team during 05.12 - 07.13.

My idea is to apply an extended tool based on CMU's Ballista
<http://users.ece.cmu.edu/%7Ekoopman/ballista/> to generate test cases for
injecting faults (RTEMS C programs). However I've 2 basic questions:
1. What is the scope of this SOCIS project? Should it include all the
scopes as written in the evaluation report (i.e. RTEMS Executive Core,
RTEMS Classic API, POSIX, Robustness, and Stress Testing)? Or it could be
narrowed down?
2. Of course source codes, documentation, and the tests output should be
included in the final result but what about an analysis on tests output?
should that be included as well?

Thanks in advance, for your time and attention.

Kind Regards,
SAeeD