Uptime difference between FreeBSD and RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Apr 2 01:22:27 UTC 2015

On 1/04/2015 7:07 pm, Alexander Krutwig wrote:

> during my work with FreeBSD timecounters, I found out that the FreeBSD
> timecounters start with an uptime value of 1 second. Developers of
> FreeBSD told me that this is due to problems in the ARP code.
> RTEMS uptime is initialized to an uptime value to 0 seconds.
> Are there any problems if the configuration of the RTEMS uptime is also
> initialized to 1 second for synchonization? Else, we would have
> different values for different API functions which is the second option.

Are saying there are requirements around for systems to have networking
up and running with the first second after RTEMS starting ? I am
impressed you can boot, start the BSP timer running, files system up and
working (flash?), initialised the network stack and have a valid link
all within one 1 second.

How long does a recent GigE PHY take to negotiate a link with a switch ?