Conversion to BSPs

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Apr 9 12:05:44 UTC 2015

On 09/04/15 14:00, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On April 9, 2015 4:11:14 AM CDT, Alexander Krutwig<alexander.krutwig at embedded-brains.de>  wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >the newest Timecounter patch was sent yesterday. As of now, the
>> >replacement of the nanoseconds extension with FreeBSD timecounters will
>> >
>> >also be started for the remaining BSPs. Exemplarily, the changes for
>> >the
>> >ERC32-BSP are given in the patch.
> Nice to see this coming along so fast. Any thoughts on the impact of variable length clock ticks? This is often referred to as tickless but I am not as concerned with the use case of dynamically reprogramming the clock tick quantum as advancing time to account for being in a virtualized environment and your "container" not running for a while.

In terms of support for tickless systems the situation is slightly
better. With the nanoseconds extensions this would simply not work. With
the timecounters it depends on the hardware capabilities. In a tickless
system large time steps can occur (e.g. you sleep one minute in
powerdown mode, then wake up, now you have a 1 minute time step). In
case this time step is larger than your hardware timer interval, then
you have a problem.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de