RTEMS lwIP porting

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Aug 10 17:20:21 UTC 2015

On 8/10/2015 11:53 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Daniel Gutson
> <daniel.gutson at tallertechnologies.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Joel Sherrill
>> <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:

>>> Has the LWIP patch been submitted upstream to the LWIP maintainers?
>>>
>>> And where do drivers come from? From what I have seen, LWIP seems
>>> to not have a unified base of device drivers. Would this just be to
>>> build the basic stack and then it is the users responsibility to
>>> find and compile a driver?
>>
>> Also, what from these comes from our work? Sorry that I'm a little bit
>> confused and arrived late to the
>> subject. BTW, there is still work to do, since the state we left
>> working LWIP is using the posix layer,
>> which we observed introduces important overhead, so a further step is
>> to reimplement the LWIP's HAL
>> using the RTEMS native API instead. Any plan for that?
>>
> I think that would be outside the scope of the student's GSoC effort.

Agreed. This just sets up a repeatable baseline that we won't slip
back from. There have been ports in the past which didn't get to this
public point and were lost to history.

> I don't know of any work ongoing to optimize the LWIP port for RTEMS.
> We appear to have a wiki page that may be relevant to update with
> pertinent details: https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Packages/LWIP

https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/rtems-lwip/ has what is
now a 10 year old port. It may have been done against the Classic API.
I don't recall but it is there as a reference.