Porting CANFestival to RTEMS

Ian Caddy ianc at goanna.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 20 01:54:44 UTC 2015

We have ported CanFestival over to an RTEMS environment, although our
system is a little different to normal.

We have a Base application which is linked with RTEMS.

Then we have other applications which the Base starts up depending on
requirements / configuration.  We have a runtime link between these
applications and the Base/RTEMS.

We have used CANFestival in one of these applications.  It is setup as a
CAN master node.  If you have any specific questions I would be more
than happy to help out.

regards,

Ian Caddy

On 20/08/2015 12:51 AM, Isaac Gutekunst wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm thinking about porting CANFestival to RTEMS. I think it should be
> relatively doable do to the posix support, and because the core files
> don't have any platform specific code as far as I can tell.
>
> Has anyone had any experience porting CANFestival so far, are could
> offer some advice?
>
> So far I've made a copy of the UNIX time and lincan drivers and renamed
> them to can_rtems and timers_rtems as well as a couple of other
> directories.
>
> I've gotten to the point where I need to link against an RTEMS BSP, and
> don't really know what to do. I want to include <rtems.h> and generate a
> static library that I can link with my application, or if I'm really
> lucky, run the existing examples on RTEMS.
>
> Regarding CAN drivers, I have written a simplistic CAN driver framework
> based on lincan and the current cpukit/dev/i2c style IMFS driver. This
> should be easy to support in CANFestival, and could pave the way for
> supporting lincan directly at some point.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Isaac

Ian Caddy
Goanna Technologies Pty Ltd