Waf branch - Overview [2/6]

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Fri Feb 6 07:03:33 UTC 2015

This email covers a brief overview of how to build the branch and some details.
It handy for 'trying it out' without getting too far into the details.

Here is the timing for the build at the moment:

verm at peach# waf config --bsp sparc/sis --prefix /mnt/devel/rtems/prefix/rtems
--path-tools /mnt/devel/rtems/tools/bin/
'config' finished successfully (0.026s)

verm at peach# waf configure
'configure' finished successfully (4.034s)

verm at peach# waf -j 14
'build' finished successfully (16.204s)

  note: the above is 1,337 objects.

verm at peach# waf -j 14 --enable-tests
'build' finished successfully (13.414s)

  note: the above is 881 targets.

>From a clone we have: 0.026 + 4.034 + 16.204 + 13.414 = 33.678s.

That is 2,218 targets including all test binaries.

There is a simple sanity check I hacked in if you want to try it:

verm at peach# waf hello

BUILDING: sparc/sis
/mnt/devel/rtems/tools/bin/sparc-rtems4.11-gcc -I/mnt/devel/rtems/commit/include
-I/mnt/devel/rtems/commit/build/sparc/sis/include
-I/mnt/devel/rtems/commit/build/sparc/sis/include/rtems -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-D__rtems_sparc_sis__ -mcpu=cypress -o /tmp/hello
testsuites/samples/hello/init.c -specs
/mnt/devel/rtems/commit/build/sparc/sis/gcc_spec
-L/mnt/devel/rtems/commit/build/sparc/sis/cpukit/
-L/mnt/devel/rtems/commit/build/sparc/sis/c/ -Wl,-start-group -lrtemscpu
-lrtemsbsp -lc -lgcc -Wl,-end-group
'hello' finished successfully (0.183s)

This actually uses another tool called rtems-config which I will get into below.

There are three branches on the repository:

  waf     - main waf branch (use this!)
  fix     - fixes to source code.
  include - the mega include change.

You can get the source via:

  git clone git://git.rtems.org/amar/waf.git

The tools used are the standard ones built using the RSB.  This means you can
test the waf branch without needing to rebuild your tools.  This will only get
better with your help and feedback.

This is a big change to how we will all develop and use RTEMS.  We have outgrown
the current build system, there is a huge amount for the community to digest
with this and other changes coming down the line.

I hope you are all willing to work with me to make this a reality for RTEMS.

Further emails follow. (3/6)

Amar.