Xilinx Microblaze copyrights question

Hesham Moustafa heshamelmatary at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:43:36 UTC 2015

I didn't find a separate license file but I found this license
paragraph on one of the header files:

/******************************************************************************
*
* (c) Copyright 2002-2013 Xilinx, Inc. All rights reserved.
*
* This file contains confidential and proprietary information of Xilinx, Inc.
* and is protected under U.S. and international copyright and other
* intellectual property laws.
*
* DISCLAIMER
* This disclaimer is not a license and does not grant any rights to the
* materials distributed herewith. Except as otherwise provided in a valid
* license issued to you by Xilinx, and to the maximum extent permitted by
* applicable law: (1) THESE MATERIALS ARE MADE AVAILABLE "AS IS" AND WITH ALL
* FAULTS, AND XILINX HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EXPRESS,
* IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF
* MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE;
* and (2) Xilinx shall not be liable (whether in contract or tort, including
* negligence, or under any other theory of liability) for any loss or damage
* of any kind or nature related to, arising under or in connection with these
* materials, including for any direct, or any indirect, special, incidental,
* or consequential loss or damage (including loss of data, profits, goodwill,
* or any type of loss or damage suffered as a result of any action brought by
* a third party) even if such damage or loss was reasonably foreseeable or
* Xilinx had been advised of the possibility of the same.
*
* CRITICAL APPLICATIONS
* Xilinx products are not designed or intended to be fail-safe, or for use in
* any application requiring fail-safe performance, such as life-support or
* safety devices or systems, Class III medical devices, nuclear facilities,
* applications related to the deployment of airbags, or any other applications
* that could lead to death, personal injury, or severe property or
* environmental damage (individually and collectively, "Critical
* Applications"). Customer assumes the sole risk and liability of any use of
* Xilinx products in Critical Applications, subject only to applicable laws
* and regulations governing limitations on product liability.
*
* THIS COPYRIGHT NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER MUST BE RETAINED AS PART OF THIS FILE
* AT ALL TIMES.
*

The UART device is simple RS232 UART, which I believe there is an
implementation somewhere in RTEMS that I can use with minimal effort.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:25 AM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
> These may already be in the tree as part of the Zynq port if the serial port(s) are the same.
>
> Please post the full copyright text but check if the same code is already in the tree in support of another of their ports.
>
> And congratulations on getting it working this much quickly. :)
>
> On January 28, 2015 1:07:38 PM CST, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>>See if there is a license in the distribution that contained the Xilinx
>>files.
>>
>>-Gedare
>>
>>On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Hesham Moustafa
>><heshamelmatary at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently porting RTEMS to Microblaze based on Joel's work.
>>Hello
>>> world hits Init and printf successfully, so I have to write a console
>>> driver. Xilinx has UART driver already. The question is can I copy
>>> code from Xilinx files to RTEMS? The files have "(c) Copyright
>>> 2002-2013 Xilinx, Inc. All rights reserved." lines only.
>>>
>>> P.S. Joel's work quotes files from Xilinx as is.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Hesham