Xilinx Microblaze copyrights question

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Fri Jan 30 21:32:20 UTC 2015

The wording is very bizarre:

"Except as otherwise provided in a valid license issued to you by Xilinx, and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law: (1) THESE MATERIALS ARE MADE AVAILABLE "AS IS" AND WITH ALL FAULTS, AND XILINX HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY..."

If there is no other valid license the source is made available "AS IS".  But what does "made available" mean?  How can it be used?  They then go on to restrict their liability, making it plain it is expected that the code will be used without the "other valid license".  To further add to that expectation they specifically mention situations where it can't be used under any circumstances.

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to what this mess legally means.  This is a "I'll have my cake and eat it too, please" copyright.  I'm sure an aggressive lawyer would have a field day with it.

Yes, the code should be avoided if there isn't another "valid license" somewhere that clarifies things.  Has part of the RTEMS discussion with Xilinx specifically asking for an appropriate "valid license" and providing a suggested one?  That's the tack I'd take.

Peter