STM32FX BSP questions

jay.doyle jay.doyle at vecna.com
Thu Jul 23 13:26:07 UTC 2015

All,

I have a few basic questions that I was wondering if someone could give
me some pointers on.

My colleagues and I are working on a new RTEMS BSP to support various
Cortex-M series processors in the STM32F series.  ST provides a nice
hardware abstraction layer that is common for all their processors in
this series and we would like to write our BSP around this HAL so that
the same code can be used to generate BSPs for multiple processors in
the same series.  We know for sure that we will need BSPs for at least a
Cortex M4 and M7 processor in the series.  Given that goal, what would
be the best way to structure the project with regards to the location of
common coded used for different processors in the same family?  For
instance, should that go into a new folder in arm/shared (e.g.,
arm/shared/stm32fxxx) and have separate BSP directories (e.g.,
arm/stm32f4x, arm/stm32f7x, etc)  or should everything be placed into
one BSP directory (arm/stm32fxxxx)?  Are there any other BSPs that have
the same goal that I could as a reference?

Second, I have implemented the console driver for the STM32F4 processor
using termios and everything works fine, but I'm concerned about the
overhead of using termios on UARTs that we might use for something other
than just a serial console (for example, we might want to use a UART to
dump some logger or trace data periodically.)  Is there a good way to
have a low-overhead, serial port driver that appears in the file system
that we can write to using file descriptors?  Are there any good
examples in other BSPs that you can point to?

Thanks!

--
Jay Doyle
Embedded Systems Software Engineer