Version Numbers

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwu.edu
Mon Jul 27 19:51:00 UTC 2015

Extrapolating a bit, we would have:
4.11.0 release series (following old conventions)
5.0 next development version, no release
5.1 next release, with 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 as subsequent bugfix (maintenance) releases
6.0 next development version after 5.0
6.1 next release after 5.1, with 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 as before?

The alternate scheme I have seen suggested is more convoluted, and it
involves using even numbers for development versions, and odd numbers
for releases. In this scheme we would have:
5.0 next development version, no release
5.1 next release, with 5.2 as the development version of the bugfix
branch, and 5.3 as the bugfix release.
6.0 is development version after 5.0.
6.1 next release, with 6.3, 6.5, etc as bug fix.

The advantage of this scheme is that all development versions have a
clear label. The question boils down to do we care to provide
development version numbers of maintenance branches?

Either scheme fits pretty well with RTEMS release cycle I think. Even
if we can get down to one release per year, the numbers won't grow
terribly fast.

Gedare