Near Last Call Before Branching 4.11

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Thu Jul 16 18:59:27 UTC 2015

> On Jul 16, 2015, at 13:55 , Joel Sherrill <Joel.Sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>
> I am in the middle of a build sweep now with the tms570 patches
> and my bsp.h changes. Once this finishes, I plan to push those
> changes and cut the branch.
>
> Speak now.

I have a two concerns but they’ll have to be fixed after the branch.  This is Phytec MPC5554.

- My flash code had a dereference of the NULL pointer (expected) and it triggered the GCC -O2 optimization that replaced it with a TRAP instruction.  When I disassembled the application binary there were 39 calls to a TRAP instruction total, many in RTEMS code.  I recompiled with -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks (both RTEMS and my application) and there were 2.  I haven’t had time to go back and analyze this.
- I was having NFS crashes regularly.  I removed a pthread_mutex_trylock() in an ISR (I assumed that was safe) while trying to make that ISR faster and the NFS issues disappeared.  I haven’t had time to go back to that either.

On a plus note the -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections size optimization has worked great and I didn’t need to make any changes other than rebuilding with that.

I’m on a project that’s late and that’s why I haven’t kept up on this.

Peter