RTEMS Source Builder newlib/iconv issues on OpenBSD/Solaris

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Mon Jun 22 08:37:50 UTC 2015

On 06/22/15 01:29 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> The general question is what's better and how to solve this issue? Just a
>> note in builder doc for both platforms? Or custom patch to newlib to check
>> for ggrep/gsed and when available to use them? Or just disabling iconv
>> completely in platform .py file of the source builder itself? Or hacking
>> source builder to support building GNU sed/grep on problematic platform,
>> installing in RTEMS bin and use that and this way make newlib happy?
>>
> Probably start with a note. The last option you gave is probably the
> most suitable, to have RSB able to build the required dependency
> packages from source.

After sending this email I've found hopefully even easier option. We may
require gnu tools installed, in fact we already did it, so we may just
link GNU sed/grep to RTEMS tools bin which is first in PATH and be done
with it. Hopefully such linking is more easier than building the package...

> Whether to patch newlib or not should be
> consulted to the newlib mailing list.

Indeed, and this is too far for me at least in the current situation.

Thanks,
Karel