large G++ locale overhead in g++ 4.9.2

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Mon Jun 29 18:11:01 UTC 2015

> On Jun 29, 2015, at 11:27 , Joel Sherrill <Joel.Sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>
> I didn't touch the tools, just the SPARC bsp custom files. This really would benefit all bsps but it needs to be tested as it is done and that requires running some code on the hardware. So it will be slow moving it into bsps.
>
> The KEEP had to be on sections like start, vectors, ctors, dtors, etc that are not directly referenced.

Sebastian / EB must have already done the KEEP work.

After recompiling RTEMS as well as the application code with -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections the binary size is 1331744, so it’s a 44% reduction (1331744 vs 2017220 byte binaries) for a medium-size real-world application on the PowerPC MPC5554 with gcc 4.9.2.

At some point I will rebuild the target tool libraries as well and see what the final reduction is.

Peter