Results

Saurabh Gadia gadia at usc.edu
Fri Jun 26 01:37:36 UTC 2015

Hi all,
For time being I have cleaned up the code. I have also attached the trace
files where our JPF-Model can reproduce the RTEMS unbounded priority
inheritance problem(TraceWupi). And after running it through solution model
we are able to demonstrate that there are no assertion errors and it runs
to completion.

*Model Description: *

#. Number of threads under test: 2
#. Number of mutex under test: 2
#. JPF-Github Link:https://github.com/saurabhgadia4/lock-model
#. Wiki-Link: https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2015/NestedMutex

#. sanity test function for detecting unbounded priority inheritance
problem:
https://github.com/saurabhgadia4/lock-model/blob/master/rtems/Mutex.java#L119
/*
Validator() checks that after stepping down the priority, on unlock()
operation, there should be no higher priority thread contending on any of
the mutex still held by holder.
*/

Unbounded Priority inheritance demonstrating trace file:

https://github.com/saurabhgadia4/lock-model/blob/master/TraceWupi#L83

Test Scenario:
1. Thread 1 which have *priority=3* acquires mutex l1, l2.
2. Thread 2 with priority=1 tries to acquire mutex l1. So with current
RTEMS we just increase the priority of thread 1.
3. So thread 1 currentPriority becomes 1. and thread 2 sits in waitqueue of
mutex l1 whose holder is thread1.
4. Now thread 1 happen to release mutex l2 and its priority is stepped down
to 3 again from 1 which was raised by thread 2.
!!!Bingo this is our unbounded priority inheritance problem which we can
successfully catch in our validator function which raises assertion error!!!
so line 83, 84, 85 in TraceWupi

*Holder Thread: 1, after stepdown operation -->current priority: 3 while
releasing mutex: 2--->Mutex: 1  (has this mutex in its stack
yet)------>Thread-id: 2 priority: 1 (Thread 2 is contending on mutex 1
which is higer priority than the holder which is Thread 1)*

*#. Sanity test passes for our solution of handling unbounded priority
Inheritance(UPI). *
   tracefile:
https://github.com/saurabhgadia4/lock-model/blob/master/TraceW_O_upi

*Highlighting points of this JPF-Model test:*

Potential present problems in RTEMS:
   *problem 1:
      Test Case:
           Thread 3 with priority=2 acquires mutex l2. Thread 1 of
priority=3 is waiting on waitqueue of mutex2 and simultaneously holds
mutex1 on which thread 2 is contending. thread 2 raises priority of thread
1 from 3 to 1 and waits in l1 waitqueue. Thread 1 was already waiting in
queue for mutex 2 which is acquired by thread 3 whose priority is 2. So
again we got unbounded priority inheritance problem with thread 1 with
raised priority=1(waiting) and thread 3 with priority=3 is running.
thread1 if it is waiting with the updated priority. We should immediately
update the priority of thread 3 on which thread 1 waits<<<<

   *problem 2:
      When mutex is held by a thread and some other thread tries to acquire
the same mutex. The updatePriority() in lock() and waitqueue.Remove()
happens simultaneously. We solved this by having the global lock() for each
mutex. (May be Cyrille can elaborate on this)

Thanks,

Saurabh Gadia