Why is CPU_INLINE_ENABLE_DISPATCH defined to TRUE on SPARC?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Mar 4 16:07:51 UTC 2015

On 3/4/2015 9:52 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Because it has been that way since 1999?
>
> The only reason I can think would be to curtail register window
> side-effects if there are any. I doubt there would be.
I doubt there would be any side-effects either. It can't add to the
maximum stack depth and it is unlikely to trigger a window overflow
since we probably just returned from another subroutine call.

One issue issue is coverage. When building for coverage,
_Thread_Enable_dispatch
should not be inlined. My quick grep shows 85 calls in cpukit. When not
inlined,
it is one branch to test. When inlined, we get 170 paths and our current
tests
don't test but 85 of those. We have no tests which make any API calls with
a lock held.

This may change with the lock work but it probably just moves branches
around
and we will end up with new issues for branch explosion due to inlining.

--joel