Problem running executable in debugger on Mac OS Mavericks

Cyrille Artho c.artho at aist.go.jp
Fri Mar 6 05:10:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I have tried to build rtems-builder and rtems following the "Quick Start"
instructions on the web page. It seems I can build executables as I can
find "ticker.exe". However, I cannot run it as shown.

"tar sim" is not recognized; it seems the simulator is not built correctly.
Below is the output from gdb. What went wrong?
I also don't have a binary called "i386-rtems4.11-run", which is mentioned
on the quick start guide as well.

i386-rtems4.11-gdb ./ticker.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.8.2
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0
--target=i386-rtems4.11".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from ./ticker.exe...done.
(gdb) tar sim
Undefined target command: "sim".  Try "help target".
(gdb) help target
Connect to a target machine or process.
The first argument is the type or protocol of the target machine.
Remaining arguments are interpreted by the target protocol.  For more
information on the arguments for a particular protocol, type
`help target ' followed by the protocol name.

List of target subcommands:

target core -- Use a core file as a target
target exec -- Use an executable file as a target
target extended-remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
target record -- Log program while executing and replay execution from log
target record-btrace -- Collect control-flow trace and provide the
execution history
target record-core -- Log program while executing and replay execution from log
target record-full -- Log program while executing and replay execution from log
target remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
target tfile -- Use a trace file as a target

Type "help target" followed by target subcommand name for full documentation.
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
Command name abbreviations are allowed if unambiguous.
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com/