Fwd: Problem running executable in debugger on Mac OS Mavericks

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Mar 6 14:01:24 UTC 2015

Hi Cyrille,

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Cyrille Artho <c.artho at aist.go.jp> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have tried to build rtems-builder and rtems following the "Quick Start"
> instructions on the web page. It seems I can build executables as I can find
> "ticker.exe". However, I cannot run it as shown.
>
> "tar sim" is not recognized; it seems the simulator is not built correctly.
> Below is the output from gdb. What went wrong?
> I also don't have a binary called "i386-rtems4.11-run", which is mentioned
> on the quick start guide as well.

You made the logical but invalid assumption that every toolchain works
the same. The "run" command is only available for some of the targets
for which RTEMS is cross-compiled. In particular, sparc-sis can be
executed by a simulator in gdb, which is what sparc-rtems4.11-run
wraps. 'tar sim' is available only when the gdb simulator support
exists.

For i386 the recommended simulator to use is Qemu.

Gedare