Warning Reduction Push For 4.11

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Sun Mar 8 16:36:00 UTC 2015

Hi

Over the past six months or so, I have pushed a lot at reducing
warnings in the build. I have been doing the analysis based
on building with networking disabled and only sample tests. From
the summary, you can see that every BSP has warnings
since they are in shared code. The warning free BSP is the Moxie
and we don't have functional tools. So the build fails without
compiling anything.

Help is appreciated in seeing if we can drop this further
as the release branch approaches.

Unique Warnings         :  98
BSPs                    :  190
BSPs with Zero          :  1
BSPs with only in shared:  186

====================================
          Warnings by Class
====================================
       1 aggressive-loop-optimizations
       1 cpp
      30 format=
       1 implicit-function-declaration
       7 int-to-pointer-cast
       2 maybe-uninitialized
       3 missing-prototypes
       1 nested-externs
       3 overflow
       1 parentheses
      17 pointer-to-int-cast
       3 unused-but-set-variable
       4 unused-function

====================================
      Top Ten BSPs with Warnings
====================================
0 moxie-moxiesim  (none) <==== FAILS TO BUILD
4 powerpc-mpc8260ads  (inBSP=0 inLibCPU=2)
4 arm-nds  (inBSP=2 inLibCPU=0)
6 powerpc-mbx860_005b  (inBSP=4 inLibCPU=0)

We are down to 98 unique warnings. The printf() format warnings
may still be related to inttypes.h/stdint.h not being in 100%
agreement. But others indicate issues that should be simple to
address.

Please take a minute to see if you can fix some. If you are
interested in a particular warning,

--joel