API deprecation

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Sun Mar 8 21:46:48 UTC 2015

On March 8, 2015 4:43:00 PM CDT, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>On 5/03/2015 8:26 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> We have ticket #2265 requesting to deprecate notepads. It was also
>> suggested we deprecate per-task variables.
>
>Task variables should be removed. There are suitable SMP safe solutions
>
>available. Having an API that is only supported in uni-processor
>configurations is not helpful to users.
>
>> Do we have an established
>> procedure for how to deprecate an API? Does anyone have any
>> objections?
>
>Not that I know of. I suggest the calls be given the deprecate
>attribute
>for 4.11 and then removed in a subsequent version, ie 5.x or later.

There us a deprecated function attribute in gcc. That will give a warning when linking.

In some cases, confdefs.h can give a warning.

We could turn these features off by default and require a special configure argument to enable them.

FYI rtems_clock_get() should also be deprecated. Probably need a ticket for it, taj vs variables, and notepads separately.