[GSoC] "RPi BSP improvement" idea separation

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Mar 16 19:21:23 UTC 2015

I don't know if this has been posted or merged into the WIki.
Alan, Gedare and I were discussing this earlier today. One thing
to remember is that it is always possible something we think
is 1/2 a summer is incredibly easy so bonus tasks should be
defined for every student. In broad strokes, a possible breakdown
could be.

+ Complete GPIO/I2C/SPI integration and add SD card
  support (since it uses SPI)

+ USB and Network stack based on new BSP stack

+ Raspberry Pi 2 optimization and SMP support
  Basic support is merged but the cache is clearly
  not in the right state based on benchmarks and
  the MMU might need initialization based on an
  early report from Alan. For sure, all capabilities
  that work now or begin to work on the Pi1 will
  need to be checked on Pi 2.

+ User interface stack
  This could include an HDMI/USB console, and perhaps a
  port for the RTEMS graphics library. Obviously, you
  can't use any USB devices for UI unless the USB stack
  works so the USB effort would bring that up while
  doing the graphics work. Then move to USB UI devices.

--joel