GSoC 2015 - Clang support and Eclipse plugin work

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Tue Mar 24 17:09:07 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-24 11:05 -0400, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Charith Eranga
> <eranga.charith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm Charith Eranga from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I'm
> > currently a second year student specializing in embedded software
> > development.
> >
> > I'm particularly interested in compiling RTEMS with Clang [1] and the
> > improvements to the Eclipse plugin [2]. I've made a start with RTEMS
> > by compiling toolchain/rtems following the GSoC guide [3].
<snip>

This is an excellent project I'm really excited to see it happen.  To avoid
repeating what Gedare has said below I'll focus on just the waf branch.  This is
a project I've been working on for 4 years to replace the RTEMS build system
using the waf build system:

  https://code.google.com/p/waf/

You can read the release announcement that has all the details related to this
work:

  https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/009837.html

While writing this I abstracted the build to allow for any compiler to be used.
Work to support Clang has been added in the build system but is not complete.
I'm happy to finish up this work to speed up your project.  There are still
source changes that will have to be made in order to get RTEMS building and
running under Clang.

At the moment RTEMS lacks an x86_64 BSP that would help us standardise compiling
across several compilers.  For now it should be no problem to choose one or two
different architectures that both GCC and Clang support.

As for the Eclipse plugin this will work nearly out of the box with waf.  The
main focus would be integrating the options for using waf with Eclipse which
should be a more general contribution to the waf project versus anything RTEMS
specific -- that is not a problem for this project however you will need Java
experience to work with Eclipse and minor Python experience.  I am happy to help
with anything waf-related.

Please feel free to give the waf branch a test and familiarise yourself with it.

Amar.