GSoC 2015 - Clang support and Eclipse plugin work

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Mar 24 17:13:17 UTC 2015

On March 24, 2015 12:09:07 PM CDT, Amar Takhar <amar at rtems.org> wrote:
>On 2015-03-24 11:05 -0400, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Charith Eranga
>> <eranga.charith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm Charith Eranga from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I'm
>> > currently a second year student specializing in embedded software
>> > development.
>> >
>> > I'm particularly interested in compiling RTEMS with Clang [1] and
>the
>> > improvements to the Eclipse plugin [2]. I've made a start with
>RTEMS
>> > by compiling toolchain/rtems following the GSoC guide [3].
><snip>
>
>This is an excellent project I'm really excited to see it happen.  To
>avoid
>repeating what Gedare has said below I'll focus on just the waf branch.
> This is
>a project I've been working on for 4 years to replace the RTEMS build
>system
>using the waf build system:
>
>  https://code.google.com/p/waf/
>
>You can read the release announcement that has all the details related
>to this
>work:
>
>  https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/009837.html
>
>While writing this I abstracted the build to allow for any compiler to
>be used.
>Work to support Clang has been added in the build system but is not
>complete.
>I'm happy to finish up this work to speed up your project.  There are
>still
>source changes that will have to be made in order to get RTEMS building
>and
>running under Clang.
>
>At the moment RTEMS lacks an x86_64 BSP that would help us standardise
>compiling
>across several compilers.  For now it should be no problem to choose
>one or two
>different architectures that both GCC and Clang support.

In did my experiments with the pc386 BSP. If clang/llvm has improved the SPARC support, one of those BSPs might be an option. It didn't have any SPARC v7/v8 support when I looked last.

Having an easy to test on, well known BSP would be valuable. A new BSP could take most of the summer and not get to the tool issues. The tool issues are important here.