GSOC 2015: Review proposal for Beagle BSP improvements: Booting without U-boot

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Mar 25 23:46:25 UTC 2015

On 26/03/2015 1:14 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Looks pretty good. I have the same basic comment I give most students,
> which is that you should try to flesh out some more details about what
> exactly you will be doing, i.e. what code you might be able to use,
> what your software architecture may look like, draw some diagrams to
> clarify concepts, and so on.

A couple of areas that are good to consider are portability and drivers.
Portability tends to come down to a portable set of files, architecture
specific files, and target specific files. Drivers can be portable if
managed.

Then there is file systems and networking. I can help with JFFS where I
have a BSD type license on reading a JFFS file system [1]. DOSFS is easy
with the FatFS [2]. I am currently using both on a Zynq.

Chris

[1] https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/jffs2-boot/
[2] http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html