GSOC 2015: Porting MicroMonitor to the Beaglebone Black

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Mar 26 21:25:32 UTC 2015

> I should clarify that the terms SPL and MLO seem to be used
> interchangeably.  So I guess it's pretty much a matter of figuring out
> where the internal ROM-based bootloader exactly transfers the "second
> stage" bootloader from (i.e. location in memory) and to what location
> in the internal SRAM to do the basic initializations.
Yep, I think "SPL" is uboot language and "MLO" is TI language; both
apparently
referring to the initial image that is pulled into the Sitara's internal
RAM at 0x402f0400
(section 26.1.3.2).
> Once I can find
> the sources of the SPL implementation this might be used for reference
> as the functionality is originally integrated with U-boot and probably
> can't be used (note: not a license expert, please correct me if I am
> wrong) since it is licensed under GPLv2.
>
> >From what I read very briefly, the AM335x internal SRAM seems to have
> limited memory so "second stage" bootloader might only have basic
> functionality to do basic initialization (perhaps like UART) and then
> locating and transferring the real bootloader.  I'll be verifying
> this.
   According to the TRM, this is about 100K of space.  You can do a lot
with 100K!
> At the time of this message, I have a little over 22 hours to finish
> my proposal before the deadline.  So far it has been adjusted to
> reflect that the effort is to port MicroMonitor to the Beaglebone
> Black in the most general sense.  I am still lacking a bit of
> specifics.  Any advice on what can constitute as something that I
> should do for this project as well as any ways I can perhaps improve
> my proposal?
Couple of thoughts (just my own shots from the hip here, and certainly
subject to
disapproval by RTEMS maintainers)...
- Consider this a project that is more than just a port of Micromonitor
(aka uMon) to
   beaglebone.  That should be the first step.  Once completed, then you
look at how
   RTEMS can use the uMon API.   This implies that the work isn't done
when the
   micromonitor port is complete, you just move to the next phase.
- The RTEMS and uMon know about each other, the better they co-exist in
a smaller
   memory constrained system (like Cortex-M3/4).
-