[GSoC] "RPi BSP improvement" idea separation

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Mar 16 19:50:53 UTC 2015

On 3/16/2015 2:37 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Joel Sherrill
> <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>> I don't know if this has been posted or merged into the WIki.
>> Alan, Gedare and I were discussing this earlier today. One thing
>> to remember is that it is always possible something we think
>> is 1/2 a summer is incredibly easy so bonus tasks should be
>> defined for every student. In broad strokes, a possible breakdown
>> could be.
>>
>> + Complete GPIO/I2C/SPI integration and add SD card
>>   support (since it uses SPI)
>>
>> + USB and Network stack based on new BSP stack
My understanding is that USB will need to be done first since
the NIC is on the other side of USB.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry%20Pi

makes it look like both USB and the NIC could come up easy.
And there is the potential to leverage more code.
>> + Raspberry Pi 2 optimization and SMP support
>>   Basic support is merged but the cache is clearly
>>   not in the right state based on benchmarks and
>>   the MMU might need initialization based on an
>>   early report from Alan. For sure, all capabilities
>>   that work now or begin to work on the Pi1 will
>>   need to be checked on Pi 2.
>>
> My intuition is there needs to be extra work added beyond just
> fine-tuning the RPI2.
+1 I just don't know what that is either. :)
>> + User interface stack
>>   This could include an HDMI/USB console, and perhaps a
>>   port for the RTEMS graphics library. Obviously, you
>>   can't use any USB devices for UI unless the USB stack
>>   works so the USB effort would bring that up while
>>   doing the graphics work. Then move to USB UI devices.
>>
> Avoid proposing any work that overlaps (conflict or dependent) on
> another. No USB UI devices should be proposed.
Yes. The first step of this one could be to get the Graphics Toolkit into
the RSB.

Then leave USB UI devices as bonus work.

Based on history, I expect that putting it as bonus work and after
those tasks means it will be unlikely to be worked on anyway.