GSOC 2015 Monkey HTTP Server

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Mar 20 16:15:44 UTC 2015

On 3/20/2015 11:03 AM, Sujay Raj wrote:
> BSP: pc386 simulated on QEMU
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at gwu.edu> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Sujay Raj <sujayraaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well I started writing the first draft of the project proposal ( which
>>> I shall hopefully finish by tonight, Its 9 PM here ).
>>>
>>> I am making "porting the Monkey web server to RTEMS as well as a
>>> partial reorganization of the network stacks present in RTEMS to make
>>> it more modular", as the primary deliverable of this project.
>>>
>>> From what it appears, porting Monkey can be done in about a month + a
>>> week for any delays. The development environment is already set up and
>>> I am tweaking around with the code. So, by the mid-term evaluation I
>>> expect to get monkey working on RTEMS (without enough time for
>>> debugging).
>>>
>> What RTEMS target/BSP do you intend to use?

The most likely candidates IMO are arm/zynq or i386/pc386 on qemu.
Both include network simulators.  The ARM might be more better since
there are active core developers on Zynq. And I don't know how much
action Monkey has seen on non-x86 architectures.
>>> For the second part, that is, getting the network stack of choice
>>> built from RSB for the applications to be built against, I am a bit
>>> apprehensive about the time limit. This task, at the first glance
>>> doesn't appear that difficult, but it might be. So the second half (
>>> till the final evaluation ) will involve getting the network stacks in
>>> a separate build + a separate package for network tests + debugging.
>>>
>> I think there is a lot of complexity here.
There is.  First goal should be Monkey against the new stack. I
**think** that's
the only stack that Zynq has a driver for.  Build order is:

+ rtems w/o networking
+ new stack
+ Monkey

Once it is working, then upstream patches and make an RSB package. With
documentation as needed.

That is a good goal.

>>> I think debugging and testing will be a major part of the project.
>>>
>> Always.
>>
>>> I was thinking along the lines, that the second part of the project
>>> should be done first, but as Joel pointed out, the first step should
>>> be monkey getting ported as a package.
>>>
>> I agree with Joel. The second part is harder to scope. It will be much
>> better for you to have a solid task and deliverable (port Monkey) for
>> the first-half.
After Monkey is an RSB package, my idea was to decompose some of the network
services in rtems/ now and make them independent packages (or a single
add-on
network services package) that is built separate from RTEMS.

Ultimately, we do want RTEMS + network stack + services but there are steps.
>>> kindly point out any comments/suggestions.
>>>
>> Be sure you identify when and where you plan to submit code. We like
>> to see code pushed into RTEMS, and into upstream projects if needed,
>> throughout the summer, not just at the end.
+1 and documentation with example(s). Setup of any service like this on
RTEMS
may have details not applicable to any other host OS.

--joel