GSOC 2015 Monkey HTTP Server

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwu.edu
Mon Mar 23 15:22:17 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Sujay Raj <sujayraaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I submitted the tentative proposal on the proposal page
> devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2015 .

Please also submit your proposal to the official GSOC Melange system.
You can revise it until the deadline, and it is better to get it in
early to avoid any technical difficulties.

> I have a few points to mention.
> 1. About the BSP to work upon, I have not mentioned anything
> specifically in the proposal because that is to be discussed. I do not
> have enough working experience with ARM/zynq architecture. ( I worked
> with ARM last trying to make homebrew games for the Nintendo GBA where
> the emulator was Visual Boy Advance :) )  I have always worked with
> x86 architectures. But yes, I can easily switch over to it, in little
> time if I am pointed towards some resources about emulating it with
> QEMU, and any other specifics about zynq.

The BSP / arch shouldn't matter too much, although Monkey is probably
more-used on x86 platforms. Really, it would be best for you to use
both platforms so you can shake out any bugs that are arch-dependent.

> 2.   The sample proposal talked about setting up repository on
> code.google.com, which is not accepting any new project and will close
> within an year.

Use github. We need to update the sample.

> 3. About the second part of my project, About separate RSB packaging
> of network stacks,
>      i. should I include lwIP too?
Yes.

>      ii. Is anyone else working on it? Should that affect my including
> lwIP in my proposal?
Possibly, but don't let it affect your proposal. The most recent port
of lwIP appears to be for the beagleboard. We might have a student
work on integrating it, possibly even into RSB. But you should still
anticipate that you might get to do it yourself.

>     iii. Does the project look too ambitious to be completed in the timeframe?
Hard to say. Sometimes things that look hard turn out easy, and vice versa.

>     iv. Will the inclusion of lwIP in the things to be done make the
> project too big?
No. I think it is a good set. You always want to have "stretch goals".