4.11 Branching

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon May 4 14:44:31 UTC 2015

On 5/4/2015 9:24 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Thomas Doerfler
> <thomas.doerfler at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am glad 4.11 will be branched soon. from our side, branching is ok.
>> So: Any open items left? Anything we can do to make the branch happen
>> soon? Any chance to do the branch within this week?
>>
> I get the feeling now the holdup is solely for Joel to manage the
> technical process. Any way to help him push through the various git
> commands and coordinate which repos need to have the same releases
> (RSB, examples-v2, others?) would probably be good.
>
> Alternately, if EB would be interested to suggest a "Release Engineer"
> for this job, it might be good to remove the burden and bottleneck
> from Joel.
Chris and I chatted and the hold up is capturing the written
instructions so this
is repeatable.  The move to git changed the process and he had specific
goals
on wanting to do this. I don't know if he got started on this over the
weekend or
not.

I will make some notes today and chat with him when he wakes up. Then
we can see where the check list stands.

On a positive note, one of my sons had his college graduate yesterday so
something of merit was accomplished. :)
>> We have held back a set of patches which are too new to be useful for
>> the 4.11 branch. On the other side we would like to commit them soon
>> without spoiling the branch point.
Agreed.

I have a set of clean up ideas in mind I want to propose to deal with
cruft that
has built up trying to be compatible with old versions of newlib, remove
some
ports and BSPs, remove the code marked deprecated, remove some conditionally
compiled alternatives that are not obvious to enable and probably never
used.
That doesn't include some packaging rework I want to discuss.